Monday, February 21, 2011

"Couples Who Pray" SQuire Rushnell, Louise DuArt

“Couples Who Pray” includes a 40-day challenge that promises to infuse your marriage with a deeper intimacy. It uses episodes from the lives of celebrity couples as examples of how prayer has enriched their relationships. The book includes a survey for each spouse to take before the “Challenge”, and then again at completion to gauge their success.

Although the book was very readable and gave biblical advice on principles to improve marital relationships, I was somewhat disappointed. Prayer is communication with God, and its purpose is to come to know Him better, not have a better marriage. I almost felt like this was a kind of gimmick for having a better marriage, not learning more about the Lord and how He wants to communicate with us.

Prayer is the subject of many books, and lots of us want to know what the “secret” to a good prayer life is. I have read many of them, and they have enriched my understanding of this most important communication. One important truth I have gleaned from all this reading is that prayer is not about a form, or a pattern, or a “right” way to pray. One author said that you can hardly do it wrong, and that has opened up my dialogue with God more than any book I have read about prayer, outside of the Bible.

I was able to read this book at no cost, thanks to BookSneeze, and I like that. However, I will not recommend it to anyone who is looking for study on prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment