Saturday, June 25, 2011

Jesus, my Father, the CIA, and Me

Intrigued by the title, I decided to read this memoir, a genre I don’t often read. So glad I did. What great insights I gleaned from being inside the head of the child of an alcoholic narcissist.

In Jesus, my Father, the CIA, and Me, I was able to explore the longing of a person to gain the love and acceptance of his father. The story was honest, funny, sad and poignant as I traveled with the author from being a child to a grown man, finally able to reconcile his past, and forgive his father in spite of it all. With candor, the author told of how this quest to connect with his father colored and had the potential to warp every other relationship in his life. Without preaching, or really explaining, I was able to take this trek with him, and understand his viewpoint in a way I had never experienced.


Yet even in the end, there is that unfilled longing in the heart of the author to truly connect. This spaciousness of his soul is something I believe we all experience, as we wait to finally be united with our heavenly Father. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand a little more of the depth of the pain alcoholism can inflict on anyone who touches it.

No comments:

Post a Comment