Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Week-Read the Bible in 90 Days

We see different things when we read through the Bible in various ways. As I'm reading about 14 chapters a day, I see trends a little better, and have generalized thoughts that impact my life today. Here's what I found this week:

I'm reading The Message, and this thought was in the intro: the most important ? we ask as we read is not, "what does it mean", but "how can I live it"? That's my goal for these 90 days.

Genesis 1-16: First diet for humans was whatever grows out of the ground. It wasn't until after Noah landed the ark, that God gave 'all living creatures' for food. (Not profound, but I'm considering being a vegetarian!) Enoch walked steadily with God. Noah did everything God told him. Abram followed God's direction even when he didn't know where he was going.

Genesis 17-28: Live entirely before Me. How can I learn to do that? Lot was saved and delivered from destruction, but he didn't want to go where the angels told him, and they were his deliverers! He settled for Smalltown. I don't want to settle, Lord!

Genesis 29-40: Women sure didn't have much value in the eyes of the men.

Genesis 40-50: God was working in everything that happened to Joseph, even tho to everyone else, it sure didn't look like it. All that time that passed in Joseph's life produced character & a deeper relationship with God. Family has the ability to hurt us deeply, but God can use that hurt to grow us. Even when we are not where we want to be, God is growing and molding us.

Exodus 1-15: Time is always a big factor. And God's time never seems to match mine. When Moses & Aaron were showing Pharoah signs from God, Pharoah's magicians could duplicate some of them. A reminder that the devil can come as an angel of light, and I must be on the alert! If we obey the Lord, we can leave our captivity with great riches.

Exodus 16-28: Two things: how quickly we complain. Straight from being miraculously delivered out of a life-long bondage to complaining about the food! (How often does food get us into trouble?) When I complain, that complaint is against God (not the situation), & how He's handling things. Like I could do so much better! A new thought as I was reading thru the instructions for the Tabernacle was that it seems like they used the gifts they had received as they came out of bondage to build a place to show honor and glory to God. Actually, God directed them to use these gifts in a way that brought honor and glory to Him. Application: as I am delivered from (my)bondage, I am taking precious truth and gifts with me, & I should use what I have learned to bring honor & glory to the One who delivers me!

Exodus 29-40: How much I can be like an Israelite. They couldn't wait to hear from God, so they made their own gods & paid a dear price for that. Once they were given clear and specific directions, they were all a part of the building process, but waiting was their downfall. Another thing, God sees importance in order and detail. He may lose patience with me & discipline me, but He will never throw up His hands & say "Whatever"!

Leviticus 1-15: God cares about EVERY DETAIL of my life.

Now, to "live it" in the coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment