Monday, March 7, 2011

In Constant Prayer, by Robert Benson

"In Constant Prayer" by Robert Benson was a delightful introduction to the ancient practice of the daily office. I had not heard of this practice, which consists of praying specific prayers three times daily at set times. I did not grow up in a liturgical church, and it appears I may have missed some meaningful traditions.

The author uses his experiences with this ancient practice to examine the command to pray without ceasing. He says that since the beginning of the Jewish nation, these types of prayers have been offered to God. They continued on through the Gentile Christians of the first century, through the Reformation and into the 20th century. He believes our post-modern generation is the first to break this tradition, and we have lost because of it.

I thoroughly enjoyed his story of the impact of praying the office on his life. His self-deprecating honesty touched my heart and made me want to incorporate this into my life. I strongly agree with him when he said that communion with God is several things--and predictable is not one of them.

Disclaimer: I have been given a free copy of this book by BookSneeze to review. I am not obligated to give a positive review to fulfill this obligation.

No comments:

Post a Comment